It’s heating up out there, which means our air conditioning units are going to be blasting. We are here to give you the best tips on how to cut back on energy costs through the spring and summer.
First, you may actually want to get an energy audit conducted to see how you can save the most money.
Lets get started:
Handyman Alpharetta – Energy Saving 101
- Try to set your thermostat to as high as you can stand it. If the difference between the indoor and outdoor temperature is as small as possible your cooling will be lower.
- Turn your thermostat up when you leave the house to help cut costs. Programmable thermostats make this even easier.
- Don’t set your thermostat on a colder setting right when you turn it on. It won’t cool your home any quicker and could actually result in excessive cooling and higher expenses.
- If it is cool enough at night, open your windows and get some natural ventilation.
- Put curtains or window treatments over your windows to keep heat from coming in during the day.
Appliances and Lighting:
- Instead of using your oven on hot days, use the stovetop microwave or grill instead to save more energy.
- You can now buy energy saving light bulbs that run cooler than normal bulbs.
- Sunlight is perfect to light up your home during the day instead of artificial lighting.
- Only wash full loads of laundry and dishes.
- Don’t use a lot of appliances that bring heat into your home such as, dishwashers, hair dryers, computers, etc.
- Ceiling fans can actually help a room cool off by about 4 degrees. When you turn on your ceiling fan you can actually set your thermostat a little higher and still feel comfortable.
- Turn the ceiling fan off when you leave room to save energy. Fans provide a wind chill effect but won’t keep a whole room cool.
- Turn the bathroom fan on to get rid of heat and humidity in your home.
Hot Water Heater:
- Turn your hot water setting to 120 degrees Fahrenheit (warm). This saves energy and will keep your water from being way too hot.
- Seal leaks in windows and doors with caulk to keep hot air outside.
If you need help with a home improvement project give us a call and we would be happy to help! We’re highly experienced and guarantee all of our work.
Call Andy OnCall® Roswell/Gwinnett at (770) 640-6050 for all of your home improvement needs.