They are great outdoor living spaces for any family whether you are grilling or just enjoying the sunshine.
As decks age they can become less of an asset and more of a burden if not properly kept up. They can also be dangerous as they will lose their stability over time.
If your deck is aging or has sagging wood it is probably time to get it back into shape. Here are some projects you may want to consider if you are refurbishing your deck.
Handyman Alpharetta – Five Ways to Fix Up Your Deck
1. Replace Popped Up Nails– Nails that stick out of your deck can be dangerous and cause the deck to become unstable. Instead of risking injury you should replace old nails with new ones. Use a pair of pliers to pull the old nail out and then replace with fresh ones.
2. Repair Sagging Wood– Decks tend to sag with age. This will indicate major structural problems and cause the deck to collapse. A wooden diagonal brace can provide some structural support.
3. Strengthen Loose Posts -Screws and nails only hold up for so long. A stable alternative to worn out nails is the use of a bolt. You will want to drill a bolt hole into the post, a little larger than the size of the bolt. Then connect your post to the deck with a bolt and a locking nut and washer.
4. Replace Rotting Wood– Rotting wood will attract termites and will not only make your deck look bad but can cause structural damage. Make sure to have deck boards replaced at the first sign of rotting wood.
5. Pressure Wash And Paint– Pressure washing your deck and applying a fresh coat of paint or stain will take away a weathered look. It can also add to the lifespan of your deck although if you are dealing with structural damage you will want to attend to that first.
Call a Professional
If you need help repairing an aging deck or just want a pressure wash and paint job give Andy Oncall Georgia a call! We are highly experienced at building at building and repairing decks.
Call Andy OnCall GA at (770) 640-6050 for all of your home improvement needs.