Summer is has arrived and and we, at ANDY OnCall®, want to provide you with tips on how to improve home quality and retain housing market value.
Whether you’re looking to keep your home cost efficient or boost resale value, routine maintenance and small repairs around the house will ensure that your property stays in top-notch condition.
Handyman Alpharetta | Here are 5 Home Maintenance Ideas for You
- Protect your deck by applying a water-repellent seal. As we all know, summer can be a bit raining is rainy and leaving your deck untreated and defenseless against the elements would be unwise.Over time, water penetration can cause dry rot, warping, and cracking. A water-repellent sealant will help extend the life of your deck and keep water from seeping into the wood.Always remember to thoroughly clean your deck before applying sealant and to cover nearby foliage from being sprayed with harsh chemicals. There are several methods to applying sealant – (brush, roller, garden spray) choose what best suits your need and fits your schedule.
- Check outside water hoses and faucets. Checking your outdoor faucets and hoses for freeze damage should be done each year.Turn the water on and place your thumb or finger over the opening. If you can stop the flow of water, your pipe running inside the home could be damaged and will need to be replaced. While you’re checking the faucets, check your hoses for dry rot.
- Inspect your concrete. Once the weather starts to warm-up you should inspect concrete slabs for signs of cracks or movement. All exterior slabs, except for pool decks, should drain away fro m the home’s foundation. If you find cracks, you can fill them with a concrete crack filler or silicone caulk.When weather permits, you should power-wash and then seal the concrete around your home.
- Examine the roof’s shingles. When the weather turns nice you should bust out your ladder and examine the shingles on your roof to see if any were lost or damaged during the winter. If your home has an older roof covering, you may need to start a budget for replacement.Any shingles that are cracked, buckled or loose, or are missing granules need to be replaced. Flashing around plumbing vents, skylights, and chimneys need to be checked and repaired by a qualified roofer.
- Check the gutters. Check the gutters to see if they are loose or leaky. Improper drainage can lead to water in your basement or crawl space. Make sure your downspouts drain away from the foundation of your home and are free and clear of any debris.
Need help with any of these things? Give us a call!
Have a Home Repair? Call A Professional
Call Andy OnCall®; Your Premier Handyman Service Company (770) 640-6050 and we’ll make sure your project is done well!